The Development & Upgrading of the State Univ. of Jakarta Project
Written by Jaya martha
State University of Jakarta (UNJ) is a wider mandate of IKIP Jakarta and was legalized by Presidential Decree (Keppres) No. 93/1999 dated August 4, 1999. The UNJ is a university under the guardianship of the Ministry of National Education (MONE). Since the issuanse of Keppress No. 93/1999E in 1999 regarding the formation of UNJ there is an urgent need for preparations in the academic, administration or physical sectors. In the academic sector several study programs and sub programs in line with the current SWOT analysis was introduced. The wider mandate of IKIP into UNJ has significantly affected the total student's registration. In 1999 the official student's selection program (UMPTN) has shown a significant increase of 300% (18,352 participants); in 1997 (5,853 participants). In 2004 through PMDK channel there was an increase to 2,532 participant from 964 participants in 1998. These facts indicate the increased community's trust and hope toward UNJ in providing the various benefits for their children education and for society.
Educational benefits : through the realization of this project will allow great support for UNJ, and will enable it to fulfill the increasing needs of the Indonesian society for quality education services and to promote greater and equal access to higher education or society and also enable UNJ to better demonstrate its capacity as a prominent Teacher Education Institutions in Indonesia. It is important to be noted that ‘Education or All and All for Education’ is the main spirit of UNJ academic society members.
Social and economic benefits: play an important role in the general social objective of achieving greater equity for learning opportunity; Provide various education programs of suit the great diversity of individual qualifications, motivations, expectations, and career aspirations; Facilitate the lifelong learning process for all the people of Indonesia; Offer its contribution for solution to major problems, especially in education, faced by the university surrounding community and by the society at large; participate directly in the process of social change; produce various high quality research outputs required to support national education development, improve quality of human resources, as well asnational economic development; produce various innovative programs for the benefits of education, the nation and the global society; manage various educational programs and activities of international level to promote UNJ's participation in the global arena.
Promotion of lifelong learning is to creating genuine learning communities and encouraging lifelong learning, individuals from different backgrounds can make benefits of what UNJ is currently offering. High school graduates from different streams general and vocational can enter any of the offered programs such as the two-year and threeyear diploma or the undergraduate one. Other benefits are that the proposed project will also amplify the atmosphere and the relevance of academic programs, increase internal efficiency and sustainability which in turn boost the quality of educational services delivered by UNJ.
The other benefits of the proposed project can be judged in several ways. Teacher at primary and secondary schools, especially in DKI Jakarta and surrounding areas such as Banten, Depok, Bekasi, and Bogor can benefit by accessing all academic resources and programs that UNJ offers which include expertise in different fields of study and different kinds of short courses, workshops and in-service training programs.
UNJ has consistently taken into account the national education policies as well as interests of students that the total number of students keeps on increasing up to 16,384 students presently some of whom are foreign students from South East Asian countries, Japan, South Korea, Turkey, and Italy. UNJ has demonstrated its ability to self-support its operation, despite the decreasing amount of government subsidy, as is shown by its stable and even increasing operational income in contrast to the unfavorable inflation rate in the country UNJ has established academic collaboration with prominent domestic and overseas international institutions.
Reposition the UNJ status and role as provider of high quality educational services, to be a better place for lifelong learning, and to promote greater opportunity for Indonesian people and international society to access higher education.
- Procurement infrastructure such as building new classrooms, offices, and laboratories for Faculty of Education FIP), Faculty of Literature and Arts (FBS), Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences (FMIPA), Faculty of Engineering (FT), Faculty of Social Sciences (FIS), Faculty of Sport Sciences (FIK), Post Graduate Program (PPS), and new Faculty of Economics;
- To develop an integrated basic science laboratory;
- To develop new buildings and facilities for the institution of research and community services;
- To develop a new rectorate offices that will integrate all university administrative functions: academic, personnel, finance, and planning; to develop a new building and supporting facilities for diploma program;
- To develop a new building and supporting facilities for university center below: Inter-university Center for Vocational Education and Training, Indonesian Center for Economic Education (ICEE) affiliated with the National Council on Economic Education - USA, Center for Language Education Development (CLED), Center for Early-Childhood Education Development (CECED), and Center for Islamic Education Development (CIED);
- To develop a new building and supporting facilities for the supporting units: Field teaching Practice, Educational Development, Language Center, Guidance and Counseling, Computer and Information Center, Learning Resource Center, Campus Security and Order, and Office for International Education; and
- To modernize library service facilities.
The proposed project is designed to develop and reconstruct academic facilities so that the students can maximize their potentials to the highest achievement level. This means that teaching-learning interactions of UNJ should be improved through the development of new and modern facilities. This modernization and improvement are aimed at the improvement of the quality of student’s education so that they can graduate from this university with a high level of competency.
The project activity scope are : design and planning; civil work with main facility and support facilities, infrastructure, improvement and development curriculum.